7.28.2009

We are the Music Makers and We are the Dreamers of the Dreams

Reading through the new blog The Creative Life I find myself pondering even more the situation I myself (and many many others) are in.

I'll start with what I commented on that blog and then continue my musings:

I'm definitely relating to the "stuck" end of things. At 27 most previous generations were secure in their jobs and their life, but I think our generation kind of got screwed in a way. So many of us are floating and not sure where to go or what to do. And we certainly don't have the money to do the things we want.

Or.. we don't have that kind of knowledge to know how much money we'll need. Being jobless has it's ups and downs. On the one hand you have the freedom and time to do things you might not otherwise have time to do (in between job searching of course), but on the other you don't have the income to feel totally secure just running off and chasing a dream.

If I knew without a doubt how much money it would take to choose a place and open a shop or a bakery or a freelance office or what have you I might take the chance. But I don't. And that makes me scared. What if I run out of money? What if I have to come back home? What if a year passes and I'm still in this same position - and out all that savings I blew trying to take a chance?

And so I stay home and I start small and I see where things go. Since I lost my job I've taken several freelance graphic design clients and I've started to build up fallenpeach. I still have a long way to go, but the risks I'm taking are minimal right now. But at least I'm not stagnate. I'm moving in a direction I like and it keeps me motivated and happy, most of the time.

I wish I had the guts to take bigger risks, though. Maybe someday I will.

So, I guess that's my advice to those in a similar situation - find something you enjoy and just start doing it. Start small and see what happens. Hopefully you and I will be able to grow with our dreams and make them all that we could want and more. Step by step I've started something and I can't wait to see where it goes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails