12.18.2009

OOW: The Beatles




I grew up listening to oldies stations and I still have a deep love for music from the 50's and 60's. But I remember very specifically the first time I knew the Beatles were the Beatles. I was in middle school and a friend of mine played me Sgt. Pepper, which she had just discovered and we were lost to the obsession.

That same year, or maybe it was the next year, we went with a couple friends and a couple parents to a Beatles convention - we went every day for all three days and had an absolute blast listening to cover bands, shopping in the market place and just being there having fun. I was 12, maybe 13.

From there the obsession only grew, I have a stack of books, movies and, of course, the Anthology (on VHS and CD :), a few posters, a drawing a friend gave me and I'm sure more scattered around my room. I love the movies Backbeat and Across the Universe, along with of course A Hard Day's Night and Help etc etc.. and I was recently lucky enough to see the LOVE show in Las Vegas, which was absolutely incredible and I will never forget it.

But behind all of that is the MUSIC. There is just something about it. I'm not very good at expressing specifics about things like this, so I will just say I LOVE THE MUSIC. It makes me happy when I'm sad and just has the constant ability to make me tap my feet and sing along. My favorite song has always been "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", though there was a time when I could not stop listening to all of Abbey Road. I tend to lean towards the later music, than the earlier, though I love it all truly.

What's your favorite Beatles song? What's your story?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails