7.15.2010

Reading Thursday: Sunshine by Robin McKinley

This week I re-read the book Sunshine by Robin McKinley. I think the idea to re-read it came from something Neil Gaiman said on twitter, but I'm not sure.

Either way, Sunshine is a vampire story but it is unlike any other vampire story that I can think of having read. It's also an even combination of character study and plot, which can at times make it hard to read. There were points I wanted to skip ahead for the plot, but other times when the character intrigued me so much I flew threw the pages.

Sunshine is a baker in a small town post the magic wars. One night she is taken by vampires and held as a meal for a vampire they have chained up. Con, the vampire chained up, has morals and will not let his enemies win. The two escape and Sunshine's life begins to change.

Great characters, great unique story - I definitely recommend this book.

One pet peeve of mine is when reviewers try to compare everything to the one or two popular vampire things they know. For this book, it was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As much as I love Buffy, this book is not much like that series. It has some of the humor but ultimately, it's a new unique thing. I could get farther into a comparison, but then I would ruin the story for you! :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails