8.20.2010

Reading Thursday on Friday: Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Boneshaker is, in it's most basic description, a Steampunk Zombie book. But beyond that, it is an incredible book with a gripping story and fantabulous characters.

I was drawn immediately to the cover of this book and new that someday I would read it. This was months ago. With some birthday money in July I purchased it and more recently finally finished reading it. I've been really busy and I wish I could have read it quicker, but life got in the way.

The story begins with a re-telling of history - specifically Seattle Washington - when a machine called the Boneshaker is built by Dr. Leviticus Blue to dig for gold in the North and goes haywire instead causing chaos, destruction and a strange yellow smoke that kills and then brings back the dead as zombies.

The infected area is blocked off entirely and restricted. Blue's son Zeke goes into the restricted area seeking information about his father and grandfather and is followed not too long after by his mother Briar, frantic to bring him back safely. Inside the two find that things aren't always what they seem and discover a whole world they didn't even know existed within the walls.

Boneshaker has everything. Action, mystery, Zombies, Airships, Pirates, gun fights, Gears and cogs and masks and technology. It's pure fun and I highly recommend it. My favorite reader's quote on the cover of the book reads:

" A steampunk-zombie-airship adventure of rollicking pace and sweeping proportions, full of wonderfully gnarly details. This book is made of irresistible." - Scott Westerfeld.

My chosen bookmark for this book was, of course, my pirate bookmark:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails