10.08.2010

Reading Thursday: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

A month or so ago all anyone I knew on Facebook or Twitter was talking about was Mockingjay. I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, but I soon found out. Mockingjay is the third in a series of young adult novels by Suzanne Collins.

Normally if something is crazy popular, I'll avoid it for a while, but when I read the back of Hunger Games I really couldn't resist. A dark story in the vein of other "games" books and stories (think The Most Dangerous Game, Ender's Game, Invitation to the Game) but with a unique twist and compelling characters, The Hunger Games trilogy is incredible so far (I'm starting book two now).

The Hunger Games takes place in a futuristic society where North America has been divided into 12 closed in communities controlled by the Capitol, a government who defeated rebellion and now holds it's power through fear. Each year the 12 districts must have a boy and a girl tribute (chosen from a lottery of 12 - 18 year olds) participate in the Hunger Games, the last alive in these games is the winner.

From Barnes and Noble : "Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place."

The first book was difficult to put down and in fact I'm resisting the second as I write this because I want to fall back into the story and find out what happens. Suzanne Collins is a masterful writer and I'm particularly excited that she doesn't recap the entire first book to start off the second. Elements are placed in where you need them, but ultimately she assumes you've read the first and takes off immediately into the new chapter of the Hunger Games.

Have you read the Hunger Games? What do you think of them?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This book is on my kindle waiting to be read. Of course I am one of those people with a very, very large stack of books waiting to be read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails