10.16.2009

OOW: Red Riding Hood


This week I've been in full Halloween search mode. Since we decided to be Little Red Riding Hood and the Huntsman (or the Wolf), I've been scouring the internet for images and ideas.

Searching the Halloween stores only brings up my big huge pet peeve. I hate that every costume for women and girls has to have "sexy" prior to it. Hate it. There is absolutely no reason to turn many things they do into something sexy. Yesterday I saw a "sexy nun" costume. And a "sexy cherry pie" costume. ...

The Little Red Riding Hood costumes that are available in stores all have super short skirts that would show my undies, crinolines, knee socks, high heels and busty blondes modeling them. I am not a busty blonde. Nor do I feel like being a hooker for Halloween.

Therefore, I must create my own costume. I've been thinking about making it somewhat modern and if my boyfriend is the Huntsman, I've also been thinking about being Red after she's been helped out of the Wolf's stomach. She'll be wearing his tail around her waist and perhaps carrying a dagger. A little bit badass, but not too much. She'll also be covered in blood.

Yes Halloween is about being someone other than yourself and letting out inhibitions a little, but that doesn't mean that all women have to be near naked to be "sexy". Halloween is also supposed to be fun and creative. I love making my own costumes from scratch or having my mom help make elements that I can't find in stores.

Until I figure this costume out, it's going to consume my days and nights a bit :) which is part of the fun. I can't wait to see what I come up with.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails