2.12.2010

Tools of the Trade: To Do Lists (super long and otherwise)



An Intro

I know that a lot of you really enjoy my YTT weekly goals posts, and I'm also a part of The Meetup, which is all about having and keeping to monthly goals. So I thought that I would do a post on my day to day ways of keeping myself going and staying organized.

Getting Started

Either before I go to bed, or first thing in the morning I make myself a to do list for the day. You can use anything to do this - because I'm old fashioned I usually use a pen and paper. But you can also use a white board (I have one of these for my weekly goals), a computer program or an website to do list set up (I know they are out there but don't have a link - anyone?).

More specifically, I use the organizer you see above. I bought it at Staples super on sale. I put a set of blank pages at the beginning, before the calendar part, and every day I write my list on the first page. That way if I have to run errands, everything is right there for me to cross off as I go.

Tips

1. CROSSING THINGS OFF IS IMPORTANT. If you do something on your list, cross it off (or erase it if you are using a white board) Trust me, it'll make you feel awesome and accomplished which will only help you want to cross more things off that list! :)

2. Don't be afraid to add silly things to the list like "take a shower" or "watch LOST". These things are also important to get done and it will make you feel like you are accomplishing things to cross them off your list.

3. You don't have to do the things on your list in order, unless you want to. Skip around - do what is easiest first, or push yourself to accomplish something hard and then reward yourself with some easier things.

4. Calendar's are helpful too, but don't try to squeeze your to do list on a calendar - it just won't fit. And it'll look messy. Use a fresh sheet of paper.

5. Don't forget to add your errands - that way you won't forget that one place you can never remember to get to.

Do you make daily lists? What are your tips to add to this list?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails